Friday, December 15, 2006

Introduction: The Obsolescence of Nationality

I find myself in a unique and difficult position politically. Aside from the fact that I do not identify with any political party or, for that matter, political ideology, I find myself as a sort of spectator looking from the outside in when it comes to any aspect of politics aside from that found in relation to certain intergovernmental organizations like the United Nations or the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. I can speak at great length about foreign affairs and I can feel entitled to do so, but on the topic of "national" politics within a country that I am a citizen of, I do not feel this same entitlement. Why is this?

I am part of what is called "Generation E". For those who have not read "The United States of Europe" by T. R. Reid or "The European Dream" by Jeremy Rifkin, I offer a brief primer on the term. "Generation E" refers to those that have taken advantage of the now non-existent borders of the Schengen Area in mainland Europe, as laid down in the Treaty of Amsterdam, to enhance their lives and seek new opportunities. This results in people whose parents are Polish being born in Ireland, living in France and working in Germany. When the borders and delineations between nations are near non-existent, it becomes difficult for one to recognize the existence of these things people call "nations". It also becomes difficult to call oneself a member of any particular nation whatsoever. In my example, what is this person? Is he or she Polish because that is where their blood comes from? Or are they Irish because they were born on Irish soil? Both states would grant this person citizenships and, if this hypothetical person lives in France long enough, they could gain a French citizenship. Germany is still a bit reluctant when it comes to handing out citizenships, so that simplifies the mess a bit. But what if Germany did grant a citizenship to this person under the auspices that their genealogy originated in the Silesian German-speaking parts of Poland? Is this person Polish-Irish-French-German? Or is it just that we are finally realizing how absurd an idea nations and national borders are?

And so we come to my predicament. I was born and raised in Britain, have ties to Austria and now live in Canada. What am I? I don't feel a strong and passionate loyalty to any one state in the world. Don't get me wrong, I love living in Canada. I love Canadians. I served in the Canadian Forces for well over two years. But am I Canadian? I drink tea, not coffee. I watch fencing, not hockey. Friends are "mates" and "chaps" not "dudes". For appointments, I'm 30 minutes early while Canadians are five minutes late. For parties, I'm fashionably late whereas Canadians are unfashionably early.

But, at the same time, one has to also ask if I'm really British either. For all my distinctly British qualities and habits, I seem to be, for lack of a better term "international". Take my room, for example. On the walls are medals and course completion certificates from my career as an infantryman in the Canadian Forces, alongside a United Nations flag- a good luck charm I would carry around in my rucksack. Sitting on a display stand above the UN flag is a Katana- a Japanese sword used by the samurai which I train with (I've done Kendo since I was 9, Tae Kwon-Do since I was 8). My CD player will, at any given time, be playing music in French, German, Italian or Somali Cish. To make a long story short, I may be British-Canadian but my cultural influences and political ideas receive input from all over Europe, East Asia and the Middle East. I'm as much a product of globalization as a Lexus.

If I'm not truly Canadian, what right do I have to become involved in Canadian politics? If I don't feel that sort of all-consuming passion for ones country we call "patriotism" does that make me less of a Canadian? It's hard to say. But it is hard to make the case that I do have a right to become politically involved and that I am Canadian when the topics dear to me are on a global scale. I don't think locally or nationally all that well. I think about human rights in China, genocide in Sudan, security in Afghanistan, democracy in Russia- these sorts of things. And if a person puts human lives before Canadian lives, human interests before Canadian interests, how can that person be trusted with political power in Canada?

In the end, though, I think I am being pessimistic. Given a few years, I am quite sure I will have reconciled my confused national identity. I'm here to stay. Britain was nice, but Canada is nicer. And if I'm here to stay, I have an interest in the welfare of Canada as a country, a reason to think locally and nationally, and a right, just as much as someone born and raised in this country, to vote and, if I feel so inclined, to pursue political office.

So without any further adieu, allow me to introduce myself: My name is Paul. I'll be your political commentator, legal analyst, firearms expert, literary critic and writer with a tendency to blither uncontrollably. Enjoy your stay!

No comments: